Why participate in Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP)?
Nevada Healthy Living cares about you, our state, and our nation. Here at Nevada Healthy Living we believe in the power that each individual has over their health. Chronic Diseases are manageable conditions that account for 7 out of every 10 deaths, while affecting over 1 million Nevadans.
What is CDSMP?
CDSMP is a 6 week workshop that meets once a week, for two and a half hours. Each workshop is facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals living with a chronic disease themselves. Each workshop is to be interactive and encourage discussion.
CDSMP workshops Include:
- 6 week workshop (typically free!)
- Held once a week for 2.5 hours
- Class size is typically 12-18 participants
- Two facilitators (one or both have a chronic condition)
- Established curriculum for each workshop that is very interactive
- Located in a community setting such as senior center, church, library or hospital
What topics are covered throughout the workshops?
- Techniques to deal with difficult emotions
- Managing symptoms
- Appropriate use of medications
- Goal setting
- Communicating effectively
- Problem solving
- Decision making
Who should participate?
Anyone living with a chronic condition including heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, mental health, or any other ongoing health condition. Caregivers and partners are welcomed as well.
Benefits and origins of the workshop:
The workshop was developed by Kate Lorig, RN, DrPH, at Stanford University. Workshop participants demonstrated significant improvement in the topics listed above. As a result, participants spend fewer days in the hospital, fewer outpatient visits and less hospitalizations.